The method and amount of preservative applied will depend on the location of exposure and the intended use of the wood product.
During the Silvaroyal® protection process, the wood turns pastel green. Protected wood exposed to the weather conditions and the sun (UV rays) will patinate (turn grey) over time, which is a completely natural process that does not affect the quality of the protection or the life span of the wood product/object.
If you want to additionally colour the protected wood or prevent the surface from patinating, we recommend using our water-based stain - Silvanol stain B, which, in addition to its colouring function, also offers additional protection against the weather conditions.
* different exposure situations (i.e. use classes of wood) require different levels of protection with Silvaroyal®; higher the use class, higher the demand for depth of penetration and preservative retention. For additional information contact our experts at firstname.lastname@example.org.
** exposure in sea water (use class 5 according to European standard EN 335) is a specific type of exposure which demands for additional consultance with field experts. For additional information contact our experts at email@example.com.
Effectiveness of Silvaroyal® wood preservative
The choice of a preservative should be made in accordance with the requirements of EN 599-1:2009. It is highly recommended that the effectiveness of the preservative is also verified by independent institutions under actual conditions, i.e., by long-term field tests in the climatic conditions in which the preservative will actually be used. While laboratory tests give a basic indication of the potential effectiveness of a wood preservative against wood pests, full information can only be obtained from tests under actual conditions.
Silvaroyal® is one of the most frequently tested wood preservatives, as its effectiveness has been verified by independent institutions in tests in all classes of application and under all climatic conditions. Tests have been conducted in Slovenia and in many other European countries, as well as on other continents. Silvaroyal® preservative is proven effective and complies with the following standards:
- Wood impregnated with Silvaroyal® is fully protected against the action of wood-decay fungi in accordance with TS CEN/TS 15083-1:2006. Protected wood retains its resistance even after prior artificial ageing in accordance with EN 84:2002.
- Silvaroyal® impregnated wood is resistant to blue stain fungi and complies with the requirements of EN 152:1996.
- Silvaroyal® impregnated wood is not susceptible to the growth of old house borer larvae and therefore complies with the requirements of EN 46-1:2010.
- Wood impregnated with Silvaroyal® is fully protected against the action of drywood termites according to the Becker method.
- Silvaroyal® binds well to the wood and does not leach out of the wood. The good binding has been confirmed by the following standard methods: EN 84:2002, ENV 1250-2:2004 and TS CEN/TS 15119-1:2008.
- Wood impregnated with Silvaroyal® is much more resistant to the action of marine organisms. No visible damage to the wood has occurred during one year exposure in seawater according to EN 275:2004. During the same period, control, unprotected specimens were completely destructed.
Five-year field testing of wood impregnated with Silvaroyal® in accordance with TS CEN/TS 12037:2005 confirmed its resistance to wood pests. After five years of testing, no signs of action by wood-destroying fungi were detected. During the same period, the control, unprotected specimens were almost completely decomposed.
All the test results and certificates obtained confirm that Silvaroyal® is an excellent wood preservative that protects wood very effectively against all wood pests in all application classes.
For any further instructions and advice, we are available weekdays between 7 a.m. and 3 p.m. on (00386) 1 2800571, or you can send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for using Silvaroyal® primary wood preservative can be found in the "Instructions for use" tab below.
Packaging units: 0,8 kg, 5 kg, 10 kg, 20 kg, 50 kg, 200 kg in 1000 kg.
Biotechnical Faculty (Department of Wood Science & Technology), University of Ljubljana, and BAM Institute (Bundesanstalt für Materialforschung und – prüfung, Berlin, Germany).